Welcome to Ardenstone Adventures
This started off a character creator for Tunnels & Trolls but has grown a bit and now you can log in so as to save your characters for later reference. This site is under pretty active development, but if you have any suggestions, comments or bug reports please send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. The core of it is the Tunnels & Trolls Character Creator where you can roll up and equip your character. If you're logged in when you do so, you can save that character for future editing and printing.
As a side effect of some of the recording options, here is a list of T&T adventures.
There are currently 123 registered users with 319 living characters at Ardenstone Adventures.
Last 5 users who created an account and a character:
Top 5 users by number of living characters:
Top 5 users by number of characters lost:
The character generator is an aid in creating characters for the role-playing game Tunnels & Trolls. I don't game much these days, but T&T was the first role playing game I ever purchased (that picture to the right is my worn copy from long ago!) and remains one of my favorites. There are a number of fun solitary adventures which I still play a few times a year.
The character generator supports T&T versions 5 and 7.5. I really love the version 5 rulebook; Ken St. Andre's writing combined with the pictures and editing by Liz Danforth (and others) make a great combination. If you're interested Flying Buffalo still sells it (along with the updated 7.5 rules which include some excellent additions like spite damage) at their website. Although let's be honest, how would you end up at a T&T character generator if you didn't already know all this?
I built this both to make the easy character creation process even easier and as a way to learn/practice some AJAX coding skills. While you can roll your attributes in a variety of random ways, you can also just type in whatever you want if you're itching for a certain character. You can also go right over your total GP and Weight Units Possible so you'll need to keep an eye on those yourself. I found enforcing those limits caused more frustration than clarity.
Questions, comments, bug reports or suggestions? Send them to me at email@example.com.
- 2013/10/08 - Level 0 Savings Rolls are now supported (where you roll and just don't fumble; your base attributes are irrelevant).
Dice rolled are now shown in order rolled (instead of highest first).
- 2013/09/09 - Added Weight Carried and Remaining to the View Character page upon Pat's prompting (thanks, Pat!).
- 2013/07/27 - Tightened up the buying and casting spells are on View Character. Spells without power-ups for increased level only show the base level (both for casting and for rogue buying).
- 2013/06/23 - Two new and somewhat unrelated pages!
- Random Dungeon Generator - Generate a random dungeon of a given size based on square grids. Other people have done this better, but I have some projects that might need these algorithms so I went ahead and put the page together.
- Renumberator - Writing a T&T solo adventure and want to re-order your paragraphs so that they are both random and don't show up on the same page? This is the tool for you!
- 2013/05/18 - Added the ability for you to create your own items! Any item you create is currently only visible to you, but any of your characters can use it. Create items in the Manage Items page which you can find linked to when viewing your character.
- 2013/05/12 - Authors can now hide their games from the public so that in-progress games can be added and codes tracked (request by Vella).
- 2013/04/28 - Various updates to T&T Game Codes at the suggestion of Vella.
Added "Use Missile Weapons" as a house rule (disabled for version 7.5/8, enabled for 5).
- 2013/04/21 - After discussion on Trollhalla, I added the ability for authors to add in arbitrary "Game Codes" to facilitate cross-adventure coordination. Authors can now also manage (and add!) their now games. Check it all out at the T&T Game Codes page.
- 2013/04/06 - Patrice Geille, who runs the excellent French T&T website tunnels-et-trolls.eu is almost done translating the entire Character Creation page into French! Pat has been doing an amazing job translating a vast number of words and phrases and I'm thrilled to see what he's done getting posted online. In addition, the verification on names now works with UTF8 (along with a gazillion other architecture changes) so you can name your characters with a much wider character set than before (just don't try <greater or lesser than tags>).
- 2013/03/16 - Translation continues; just updated the Forum so that you can now pick your language (dropdown in upper-right). SMF has nice multi-lingual support already, so helps. Whatever language you pick in the Forum (currently only English and French) will also flow through to the rest of Ardenstone Adventures (tranlation to French in progress!).
- 2013/03/09 - Going through another major overhaul, this time to allow translation to multiple languages. This should be seamless but, if you see something weird (most likely a label or text missing that used to be there) please let me know.
- 2013/03/03 - PC's now can fight bare-handed! On the View Character page, if you unselect all melee weapons it changes you to have 1 die and your normal combat adds.
- 2013/03/02 - Massive rewrite of most functions and pages in order to deal with PHP's new MySQL rules as well as altering error handling and cleaning up everything to make it consistent. A few bugs squashed, but there shouldn't really be much visible change.
- 2013/02/15 - House Rules! Want to turn off savings throws for casting spells in 7.5? Want to use talents on a version 5 character? You can! Note that the "House Rules" section is only on the View Character page, so you'll have to create your character like normal and then go adjust the house rules afterwards. T&T as you choose to play it!
- 2013/02/10 - Bug-fix: Changed encoding behaviour so your character notes should stop getting translated to HTML entities.
- 2013/02/09 - You can now cast spells when viewing your character! This will roll the savings throw (if needed), reduce current WIZ or STR as appropriate and grant AP. This required some fairly interesting changes, so let me know if you spot a bug.
- 2013/02/01 - Savings throws can now be rolled against talents
- 2013/01/31 - Added spite damage as an option in combat. Defaults to enabled for 7.x and turned off for 5.x, but you can change it at any point.
- 2013/01/21 - System now tracks current versus permanent stats. The simple combat simulator on the View Character pages now uses this, so if you take damage your current CON will go down! If your character gets healed, just use the "Add to" menu to add to "Current Constitution". Stats are shown like: "Constitution 14 " which indicates a permanent CON of 14 and a current CON of 9 (PC has taken 5 points of damage). The bracketed number is hidden if the current attribute matches the permanent one.
- 2013/01/10 - Added a link to generate a random name from the excellent Tavernmaster Games' T&T Random Name Generator. Just click the little link next to Full Name and it will pull a random name back based on gender, kindred, etc.
- 2013/01/01 - Minor enhancement to reporting.
- 2012/12/18 - Bug-fix: Engaging in missile combat without a missile weapon now just gives the opponent a free attack on the PC.
- 2012/12/02 - Several performance enhancements to the main character creation page.
- 2012/11/11 - Fixed some bugs with missile weapons. Note that, if you have two equipped (two spears, for example), it will just pick the first one to use to calculate missile dice/adds. If you want to change it, unequip one.
- 2012/11/09 - On the View Character page there's now a Combat section that takes your PC's currently equipped items and matches them against an opponent (based on MR).
- 2012/11/08 - Updated savings rolls to show you the total (if any math was involved).
- 2012/11/07 - Reconfigured forum slightly - hopefully that will help with weird security issues. Also updated getLastUsers to allow the option to only show the last x users who have created characters and enabled that flag on the about screen.
Updated SMF's SSI.php to make it more HTML 5 compatible.
- 2012/10/26 - Ok, loooong summer off. Bought an old house, made fixes & improvements, enjoyed the warm weather, etc. Now it's rainy and cold and I'm itching to get back to this project.
Bug-fix: You can now save changes to the user page again. Removed announcement about changing to SMF as that's ancient history. Added a focus event on the username field when you click the "login" button. Still trying to fix login weirdness.
- 2012/06/03 - Maintenance: Added messages and sets of messages into the database to allow for easier deployment of the same code to multiple websites.
- 2012/05/29 - Bug-fix: Fixed up a few pieces of the code that were using the local authentication tables. The change to SMF security will probably take a while to shake all the bugs out.
- 2012/05/28 - Maintenance: Changed security over to using SMF for logging in and out.
- 2012/05/19 - Maintenance: Finally threw all the code into Git and set it up to auto-deploy to the new URL: http://www.ardenstoneadventures.com!
- 2012/05/06 - Monsters! Added rare / monstrous kindred to both versions. Stats pulled from the core rulebooks so email me if I'm missing your favorite.
- 2012/04/10 - Maintenance: went back and fixed where userid was being pulled straight out of the session (instead of more secure function being used in later code).
Re-arranged the view character page to split out solo and editing sections.
- 2012/04/07 - Bug-fix: you can view other people's characters (read only).
Added a "Your Characters" link in the footer that takes you to the View User page.
- 2012/03/31 - Spells, spells, spells! Added complete spell book for core 5 & 7.5 rules. Specialist Mages automatically gain the appropriate spell(s) upon level gain (or if they're already at the correct level and their attributes suddenly qualify them to be able to cast the spells). Everyone else can get them one at a time through the View Character page. Prices default in (and are double for rogues).
- 2012/03/24 - (v75) You can (and must) now pick a Talent for Version 7.5 characters. Rogues automatically get Roguery although it can be changed.
(v75) Bug-fix - spells for rogues was not saving.
Level for saved characters is recalculated automatically upon entry to View Character.
- 2012/03/12 - (v75) Finally got around to adding all the other miscellaneous equipment and clothing.
- 2012/03/06 - Allow decimals for GP in Manage Items
Show the results of each die rolled when rolling on the View Character screen.
- 2012/03/05 - Now allow some special characters in names.
- 2012/03/04 - Implemented ability to manage items (buy and sell) for saved characters.
- 2012/03/03 - If you're logged in, you can now save the games you own.
- 2012/03/02 - Hacked in infrastructure to allow games to have various attributes - mostly used for tracking requirements right now. Thanks so much to Mike Gibb (Mikkeebboi on Trollhalla) for all the great research on requirements for games!
- 2012/02/27 - You can now change what equipment a saved character has equipped.
- 2012/02/26 - Added ability to roll Saving Rolls and get awarded the AP automatically.
Can now store notes about your character (viewable only by the owner for now).
Overhauled GP so it's no longer stored as an item. This means it's weightless, which appears to be How The Game is Played according to the trolls at Trollhalla. Also makes coding easier. :)
- 2012/02/25 - (v75) Bug-fix - Specialist Mages do require triples (as per Ken St. Andre).
- 2012/02/23 - Added ability to increase your Version 7.5 character's level.
- 2012/02/22 - Ability to record what adventures your character is playing, has conquered or was conquered by.
If you let me know you're an author, I'll link your account to the game(s) you've written and it shows up on your View User page.
- 2012/02/20 - You can now change your characters name after it's saved (now, with shiny loading and saved icons!). I had two requests for this the same day saving went live.
Added spite damage to the dice roller on View Character
You can now keep track of what solo adventures your character has been a part of.
- 2012/02/19 - Made View Character page much more printer friendly (thanks, Charrl Flemmning!).
View Character now changes the title to be the character's full name (not friendly name).
Mikkeebboi requested a way to roll dice so I added a simple version of a great request to the View Character page.
- 2012/02/18 - Major update! Added ability to create a user account, log in/out, and save, edit, view and delete characters.
Revamped pages to move this off the index and into an About page.
- 2012/02/05 - Fixed elusive bug where adding and removing items would sometimes incorrectly recalculate current dice, adds or hits.
Added fieldset around the attributes for accessibility purposes. There's so much refresh going on with this page I'm not sure it will really help, but every little bit...
- 2011/12/18 - Tightened up some data cleansing algorithms and removed the sendmod attributes.
- 2011/12/17 - (v75) Bug-fix - Specialist Mages now need 15 or higher on the original Wiz (not the one updated by kindred modifications). Another excellent find by Snowgen!
Modified Google Analytics code so it no longer runs on my test server.
- 2011/12/15 - Added DEX requirements, hits and adds for shields.
(v75) Added level to combat and missile adds for Warriors (but not Rangers). Thanks to Snowgen for noticing both bugs!
Made the warning messages for items (like trying to equip three daggers with just two hands) look a little nicer and no longer fade away after 4 seconds.
- 2011/12/10 - (v75) Calculates the characters level (implemented for both versions but only makes a difference for ruleset 7.5)
- 2011/12/04 - Added support for spells. Now the wizard classes see a list of their spells. Added a Disciplines drop down that appears for Specialist Mages which narrows down the list of spells appropriately. Rogues for v75 don't get a text list of spells, instead they get a drop down of which they can choose one spell.
Cleaned up how kindred are stored in the database (thank you, dekh!).
- 2011/11/27 - Overhauled the look and feel to add brown/blue theme. If you've been here before and things now look weird, refresh (typically F5) the page.
Changed trademark language slightly after discussion with Rick Loomis. If you're reading this, go buy something cool from Flying Buffalo right now.
Rewrote how wizards work; now you can only be one if you meet the qualifications to cast first level spells (thank you Khayd'haik!).
Changed the notification that you qualify for a special class (like Warrior-Wizard or Specialist Mage) from a pop-up message to inline blue text near the class drop down. The text does not appear if you qualify to be a wizard, even though that's also dependent on attributes.
Added a blue asterisk next to any statistic that was rolled with at least one triple in it (thank you Mahrundl!).
- 2011/11/26 - (v75) Fixed Missile Adds to include Speed if using v75 of the rules. Dexterity effects are doubled in both rulesets.
Modified the CSS so that if you print a character sheet (or do print preview) it hides things like the items to choose from (but not the items purchased), the pre-kindred-modified statistics, etc.
Added a few missing ammunition sets.
- 2011/11/25 - Added a "Start New Character" button as an easy way to discard all equipment and start a brand new adventurer.
When equipping items it now keeps track of Strength and Dexterity and doesn't let you equip items (or combinations of items) you don't qualify for. Note that shields are included in tracking weapon strength (and theoretically DEX but I'm not showing DEX requirements or dice + adds for shields, yet).
- 2011/11/20 - (v75) Enabled Paragons (assuming you have the statistics) and adjusted armor ratings appropriately.
(v75) Added Specialist Mages, Rangers and Leaders (if you're lucky with the dice). Also added Citizens.
- 2011/11/17 - Added checking so you can no longer equip parts of armor (like a helmet) and a complete set. Nor two helmets, etc.
(v5) Added a message if your raw stats enable a Warrior-Wizard and it's dynamically added to the Classes menu. Also worked in bonuses for armor.
- 2011/11/16 - Created intro page with this changelog.
- 2011/11/15 - (v75) Fixed Combat Adds so that SPD is now taken into account for Version 7.5 of the rules.
- 2011/11/14 - Added Height and Weight (based on Kindred).
Started tracking Weight Units (Possible, Carried and Possible Remaining).
Added Google Analytics.
- 2011/11/13 - Posted the Character Generator to the interwebs at http://www.ardenstone.com/projects/tnt/.
Items I still want to implement and strange behaviour I may never fix (in no particular order):
- Deal better with things like rope-by-the foot (can only buy 9' at first, each one lists as a seperate item, etc.).
- Link ammunition to appropriate weapons.
- Version 7.5 - Remove Citizen as an option if any triples are rolled.
- Version 7.5 - Add minimum DEX requirements for Madu and Dwarven Spike Shield. They're not actually in the rules so I'm debating just using the version 5 requirements or leaving DEX at zero (like it is currently).
- Version 7.5 - If Rogues don't have the attributes to cast first level spells then they probably shouldn't be allowed to pick one.
- Users without any characters come back with a null "Active Since" date in View User.
- Some initial items aren't in whole gold pieces but the character creator rounds those amounts to GP.
- Allow authors to change their own solo adventures as well as add new ones.
- Version 5 - Quirk: Speed is not taken into account when calculating adds in Version 5. I left Speed and Wiz visible if playing Version 5 just because some people like to use those.
- Quirk: This system assumes you can hurl all equipped missile weapons at once. So equipping two daggers that can be thrown implies they can both be thrown at once. That's a debatable assumption.
- Version 7.5 - Quirk: You can be a specialist mage without the qualifications to cast a 1st level spell. That seems weird, but if the concept is that these folks are born "with the power" then I can see a low level character misfiring and being generally useless until they improve their attributes to let them handle the power they were born with.
- Version 5 - Quirk: SPD & WIZ aren't really V5 stats, but they're used a lot in house rules. I asked how they might be changed by gaining a level and Khenn Arrth responded, "Rrrhommbus, 5th edition rules don't have SPD and WIZ, so you can never level those attributes up. Reflex speed is almost impossible to bring up, so I'd give it maybe half the new level, round down. WIZ is like Luck so I'd give it double the new level. But I much prefer the level up system we use in 7.5 and here on Trollhalla--just spend 10 times the level rating in attribute points to go up by one." Hard to argue with the creator of the system!
- Version 7.5 - Quirk: What happens with a Citizen who has negative adds? I'm saying they just get normal combat adds unless the adds are positive. I supposed they could also get double negative adds, but half negative adds is just strange.
- Version 7.5 - Quirk: You can't be a Ranger or Leader unless you're using the TARO method.
- Version 7.5 - Quirk: Paragons get the same level based casting cost reduction as Warrior-Wizards (aka: one less for every two levels above the casting level). 7.5 rules don't seem to specify.
One of the fun parts about T&T is all the great sites out there still talking about it. Here are a few:
Resources that helped me build this site:
You'll need to use your forum username and password to log in. Don't have one? Go to the forum and register!